Monday, February 28, 2011

Veggie Recipes


So today I went to the local farmers market to get my veggies for the week, all organic and fresh whole food. Now I have to come up with recipes to use all of these delicious picks without wasting a thing. One of the key elements is kids friendly meals so I can feed Sophia as well.

Today's recipe is a whole grain pasta with a veggie sauce, I will do my best to estimate measurements for the ingredients, but honestly I just threw whatever looked good... the results? A delicious meal that Sophia devoured with no whining and a smile on her face! And that my friends is a winner =)


Ingredients

* 2 cups of whole wheat organic spirals
* 1 tbsp of chopped garlic
* 1/2 cup of chopped onion
* 1 cup of fresh broccoli
* 1 cup of spinach leaves
* 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
* 1 cup of pasta sauce
* EVOO
* Salt & Pepper to taste

Preparation

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse. On medium heat in a sauce pan pour EVOO to taste and add chopped garlic and onion and sautee for about 5 minutes until onion is clear, now add tomatoes, salt and pepper. After tomatoes are soft add broccoli and cook for another 5 - 7 minutes. I personally like the broccoli's consistency to be hard so I just cook it for about 5 more minutes, once the broccoli gets really green I add the pasta sauce. For this I use whatever I have in the fridge, this is just to make it a little more saucy but the flavor will come from your fresh ingredients.

Once you are ready to throw the pasta in, add the spinach and stir; add pasta, stir and serve! If you are like me then cheese is a MUST, today I used parmesan because its what I had on the fridge but little squares of mozzarella go great with this recipe.

My munchkin loved it, which makes this recipe a MUST try =)

No comments:

Post a Comment