Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Being home has it's perks

I am back from Chicago and even thought I have tons of things in my To Do list it feels good to be back into my routine. Besides the ridiculous amount of clothes that I have to fold I do have one of my favorite house chores on my list, which is to cook for the week.

Yesterday in an effort to get back into my vegetarian routine (because I did cheat in Chicago) I cooked the most amazing and healthy version of the Cuban rice and beans recipe. It was quick and easy and most importantly DELICIOUS!

Try it out because you will fall in love with this tasty side dish, once you do it once you will be hooked!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans rinsed and drained (low sodium)
  • 1 cup cooked long-grained brown rice (no salt)
  • 3/4 cup chopped tomato
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Preparation:

I personally like my vegetables chopped extremely small and I think this dish calls for that, but it's up to you to decide how you like it best. Coat a non-stick skillet cooking spray and place on medium heat until hot. Add onion and green peppers and  sauté   until onion is clear and peppers are crisp-tender. 



Add cumin, coriander and red pepper until evenly mixed and  sauté   for another 3 min. Now add beans, rice and remaining ingredients steering until is all heated. This recipe usually is a bit dry, which I personally like but if you would like the rice a bit more moist its up to you.



This recipe serves about 6 people and half a cup has only about 110 calories, is that awesome or what? I love tasty filling recipes like this. Notice there is no salt added, using spices is a great substitute and they all have excellent health benefits!

Now get your tushy in the kitchen and try this out, I promise it will be fast and delicious!

Enjoy...

CM

No comments:

Post a Comment